Thursday, August 14, 2008

Catching up...2 project realization

Missed some posting days. Done a lot. Pics coming soon.

I realized (did i mention this) that this is actually 2 projects. 
A restoration.
A conversion.

I'll have to make a list in 2 columns to help figure out the priorities for these projects (which is really one project, but, y'know, new realization and all...)

So this last weekend, the parents came to visit and Dad helped with some VW work. We cut out the old rubber window seals, popped out the old windows...cleaned them up and then put the new rubber seals on the old windows. I'm doing the chrome trim look (not Cal-look) so we had to shove that chrome trim in the rubber seals too. That seemed like it was gonna be really hard as we tried it after getting all of the rubber seals on the windows. But, apparently, our hands and fingers must've just been fatigued. 2 days later we used a little silicone lube spray, and got those chrome trims right into the rubber, no problem.

I'll wait to insert the side and back windows until I get the headliner done (that'll be on the Restoration side of the ledger), but we attempted the windshield installation. Maybe we shoulda waited a day or two to do this as well, but we didn't have a day or two. Soon after the trim was in, maybe an hour or so later, we tried to put the windshield in the car. The damn trim kept popping out, the rubber was falling away from the glass...ackkk. We tried to cool the rubber off a bit, to get it to hold it's shape a bit more, but it still wouldn't go. As the trim was popping out of one of the corners, I tried tapping back on it with a rubber mallet, and ended up getting a small window crack. So, lesson learned. Don't tap on the windshield with anything when yer trying to shove it in the windshield space. I've read a few more hints about how to do the string trick - found a good page, Rob and Dave's VW page, had some good info - and when I can get another volunteer to help out, I'll give it a shot.

Also cleaned out the old rubber seal under the "deck lid" (remember that term?) and I have the new rubber seal ready to go. I can't believe how many sites I'm looking up to get info on this (besides the books I have - the original 62 manual from VW, a hardback VW book purchased around 62 sometime, the Muir book, and another repair guide (not the bentley, another one). 

What's more, I can't believe how obsessed I'm getting with all of this. I have never been interested in car repair. What the hell is going on?

No comments: